Nowadays with increasing work pressure, hiring a VA is essential for most business owners and professionals. But hiring the right VA is the key to lessen the work burden rather than increase it. Make sure that they can handle the tasks you give them in a timely manner. And also the person you choose should have the experience of handling a wide array of tasks.
Google search listing for “virtual assistant” will confuse you with tons of results. Search through those, check their services and do some interviews. Or find people in your contact and ask them who they use and recommend. If no one is using these services in your personal contact then ask people in your networking groups whom they recommend.
Before you approach a VA, list out the types of tasks you’d expect your VA to complete. Make sure that your VA has the skills and software to handle your task.
VA rates vary from $3 per hour to $60 per hour. You just need to consider the right fit for your business need and budget.
Some Things to Consider When Hiring a VA –
- • Find out what skills they posses and available software.
- • Find out their payment mode; whether they expect it before service or after service completion. I recommend the latter one.
- • Ask how they would like to be paid. Can you use a credit card, PayPal or net banking?
- • Find out how they track their hours and how they insure you’re aware that projects are completed. By using a project management system you can automate this process.
- • Make them sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before starting your work. This means they will be confidential about the information and work they are doing for you.
- • Some VA’s will give you a price break if you keep them on retainer for a certain hours each month. You may want to ask about that.
- • Before hiring a VA you may test him by offering him a small project to start and see how well you communicate and work together.
- • If you have a limited budget, you can target your search to countries like India and Phillipines where you can get cost effective services. But all the above points should be kept in mind before choosing a VA.