Work-Life balance is a real problem in this fast-paced work environment and should be handled with great care. It is a common observation that most people in demanding jobs can’t really manage both quite well, hence adding to the stress of routine life. Off course managing a job successfully can highly stressful but one should always keep in mind that the job is for the happiness and security of personal and family life.
At the end of the day, no job or business can give you as much satisfaction as spending some quality times with your family and friends. You will certainly regret the moments you could have spend with your loved ones if you spend every waking moment stressing about your work.
So let’s see how you can manage your work-life in a better way. I have a few tips for you, which are quite simple yet extremely rewarding:
- Plan your day with some quality family time. When you plan your day ahead and tell yourself that you will spend some quality time with your family, you will bring a lot of balance in your life. Maybe just an hour or two would be enough for a great family time, but if you don’t plan ahead there is a possibility that a lot other things will get in the way.
- Try to finish your work during office hours. If it gets really necessary to bring office work at home, keep a separate work area away from dining or family area. This way you can completely focus on finishing your work rather than dragging it during your family time.
- If you are being over burdened some days with huge assignments, you can always ask for help from your colleagues. And they will surely help you if you return the favor during their time of need. Try to manage as much as you can but if you are working way over time and can’t seem to control the work load then you can have a chat with your boss to diffuse the workload.
- Outsource some of the work that sucks your energy or time. Nowadays, there are many responsibilities that can be handled by someone else easily. Try to think of ways on how you can make your work load lighter. Also, try to stop all the diversions like mindless internet surfing or office gossip.
- Get up early in the morning. This will refresh you and keep your mind in focus. Those who get up late and go straight to work take a great deal of stress with them. If you get up early, take a nice long walk, enjoy some family time over breakfast and you will feel much better and energetic to start your work day.
- Learn to say no even if it is hard for most of us to do so. If you are being over burdened with work or dragged into a useless party, just say no and save that precious time for yourself and your family.
- Take out some “me time” for yourself and do whatever you like – exercise, meditate, take a yoga class, paint, play a sport – whatever helps you unwind. In a tough routine, it usually gets hard to even think of taking care about you, but it makes a great deal of impact on your overall stress management. Take a yoga class or go for a run early in the morning. If you feel great, you can manage your work better too.
I would like to end this post with a quote by Lao Ztu:
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.
– Lao Tzu